We created this returns policy precedent for ecommerce websites selling products to businesses, consumers or a mixture of the two groups.
The policy sets out the circumstances in which products may be returned, and details the procedure that must be followed when returning a product. It also explains how refunds will be given, and what happens if a product return does not follow the required procedure.
The law provides that sellers must allow customers to return products in certain circumstances. The statutory return rights available to consumers (rather than business customers) include a general right to return products purchased under contracts that have been entered into at a distance. In the usual case, that right is available until the end of the period of 7 working days following the delivery of the products. Similarly, customers may have a legal right to return faulty or mis-described products.
Those kinds of mandatory return rights are provided for in our terms and conditions of sale template. This returns policy template, on the other hand, can be used to offer customers supplemental (i.e. extra-statutory) rights of return.
This policy, together with one of our terms and conditions of sale documents, is included in each of our online shop packs.
Returns policy contents:
- Introduction: acknowledgement of wish to return products; purpose of returns policy; application of document: customer location; application of document: order types; no abridgment of consumer statutory rights.
- Returns: right to return products.
- Returns procedure: how to return products; product return delivery method; returning products: postage costs.
- Exclusions: products not returnable.
- Refunds: refund of price; refund of delivery charges; refund of return costs; method of refunding monies; period for issue of refund for returned product.
- Improper returns: return of product in contravention of document.
- Our details: website operator name; place of business; contacting the website operator.
Document attributes and statistics
- Total words: 1404
- Total characters: 8594
- Document pages (estimated): 2
- Guidance notes pages (estimated): 2
- Total pages (estimated, including cover): 5
- Governing law: English Law
- Document style: website notice - informal
- Language: English (UK)